Skip to main content

Nigeria coronavirus cases rise above 3,000

Nigeria coronavirus cases rise above 3,000

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Wednesay confirmed a total number of 195 new coronavirus cases and five deaths in the last 24 hours.
Nigeria’s populated city Lagos and Kano states have the highest numbers. While Lagos recorded 80 new cases, Kano recorded 30 new cases.
Zamfara State again witnessed a spike with 19 new cases announced while Sokoto recorded 18 new cases.
Borno continue to record more cases as ten new cases were confirmed in the state while Abuja confirmed nine new cases.
Oyo State recorded eight new cases each while Kebbi and Gombe have five new cases each, NCDC also announced four new cases in Ogun State.
Three new cases were found in Katsina while Kaduna and Adamawa had one new case each.
In total, Nigeria has now confirmed 3145 cases of COVID19, discharged 534 persons, while 103 persons have died.
Nigeria began a “phased and gradual” easing of more than four weeks of lockdowns in the national capital and the largest city on May 4, President Muhammadu Buhari said in an address on Monday.
Lagos and Ogun states and the federal capital territory of Abuja entered lockdowns to tame the spread of the new coronavirus on March 30.
Buhari said the lockdowns had come at a “very heavy economic cost,” stripping many citizens of their livelihoods.
“No country can afford the full impact of a sustained lockdown while awaiting the development of vaccines,” Buhari said.
Millions of Nigeria’s 200 million citizens, more than 20 million of whom live in Lagos, live on daily wages, and the lockdown left many without money to buy food.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Senate to write Buhari over dead lawmaker on FCC board

Senate to write Buhari over dead lawmaker on FCC board Senate President Ahmad Lawan will draw the attention of President Muhammadu Buhari to the erroneous inclusion of a dead person on the list of nominees sent to the Senate, The Guardian has learnt. It emerged on Wednesday that the list for the appointment of members into the Federal Character Commission (FCC) included the late Tobias Chukwuemeka Okwuru, a former member of the House of Representatives from Ebonyi State. Okwuru, the 12th on the 38-person list died in February 2020, aged 59. Until his demise, he had acted as chairman of the House Committee on Environment and had represented Ikwo/Ezza Federal Constituency between 2011 and 2015. This is, however, not the first time names of the dead have featured in appointments by Buhari since he became president in May 2015. In 2017, the names of five persons said to be dead appeared on a list of appointments onto the boards of federal agencies and corporations. They were:...

See how Tinubu reacts to #EndSARS protests, says police reforms has begun

 See how Tinubu reacts to #EndSARS protests, says police reforms has begun National leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Bola Tinubu has said the protest against police brutality in Nigeria is within the constitutional right of Nigerians. “Asiwaju Tinubu believes in the right of Nigerians to freedom of expression, assembly, and protest where and when necessary, he has always canvassed the need for people to explore peaceful channels to ventilate their views and demands,” Tinubu said in a statement by his media aide Tunde Rahman. “He believes the #EndSARS protesters have made their demands, which the Federal Government is studying.” Tinubu’s statement comes after being alleged of being one of the sponsors of the ongoing nationwide protest against brutality, extortion, harassment and extrajudicial killing by police personnel. The Cattle’s Breeders Association known as Miyetti Allah had earlier accused Tinubu of using the protest to distort the administration of President Muh...

Pompeo presses China but acknowledges ‘no certainty’ virus from lab

Pompeo presses China but acknowledges ‘no certainty’ virus from lab US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday renewed his widely contested charge that the coronavirus pandemic likely originated in a Chinese laboratory, but acknowledged there was no certainty. Pompeo renewed his call for global pressure on China to provide more data on the origins of the illness, which has killed more than 250,000 people worldwide and hobbled the global economy. “We don’t have certainty, and there is significant evidence that this came from the laboratory. Those statements can both be true,” the former CIA chief told reporters when pressed on his statements. “The American people remain at risk because we do not know … whether it began in the lab or whether it began someplace else,” he said. “There’s an easy way to find out the answer to that — transparency, openness — the kinds of things that nations do when they really want to be part of solving a global pandemic.” Pompeo  ha...